License Exams


If you are new to ham radio and would like to know how to become a ham, please visit the ARRL website which has excellent information on how to become a radio amateur.


CARS organizes licensing classes quite frequently. These classes help you pass the necessary exams to become an amateur radio operator, or to upgrade to a higher license class. If you are interested in attending one of these classes, E-mail CARS and you will be contacted the next time there are enough potential students to have a class.


Amateur Radio license examinations are usually referred to as “VE tests” or “VE exams”. VE stands for Volunteer Examiner. Volunteer examiners are coordinated by a Volunteer Examiner Coordinator, or VEC. Two VECs in the United States account for 90% of all examination sessions. One is the ARRL VEC and the other is the W5YI VEC. There are a number of other VECs who account for the other 10%. The VEs administer Amateur Radio tests and handle all the paperwork necessary in order for you to obtain an Amateur Radio License.


ARRL VEC test sessions are held at the Hamfest the first Saturday in February at 1:00 pm and the second Saturday of April, June, August, October and December at 9:00 AM. These test sessions are held at the Tall Pines Baptist Church located at 645 Treeland Drive near the American Biker store. Special test sessions are also held imediately after a class is held.


In order to take a test, you are required to bring the following to the test session:


For more information, please contact:


Sheila Frank, KT4YW
Phone: (843) 871-4368
Email: aj4uq@arrl.net;


W4VEC VEC test sessions are held on the third Wednesday night of each month in Goose Creek at the Masonic Lodge #401, 145 St. James Ave. across from the Bi-Lo, at 7:00 P.M. Walk-ins are welcome.


For more information, please contact:


Lowcountry VE Team
Phone: (803) 792-1248
Email: veofsc@gmail.com